Fourteen candidates won in Tuesday’s Illinois general election thanks in part to extra campaign related support from Illinois REALTORS®.
The winners included three state senators, eight state representatives and three county board members/commissioners.
In addition to direct support, REALTORS® gave extra support to a total of 19 candidates, either through Opportunity Races or Independent Expenditures, and nearly 74 percent of them won. In the Opportunity Races, the association mailed postcards to REALTORS® living in the candidates’ districts, asking for their votes.
With Independent Expenditures, the association used a combination of campaign mail, live phone calls, automated phone calls and digital ads to encourage registered voters to choose the REALTOR®-backed candidates. By law, the Independent Expenditures cannot be coordinated with a candidate’s campaign.
While the State Board of Elections has not yet officially certified the results, the following REALTOR®-backed Illinois General Assembly candidates who received extra support were reelected Tuesday:
- REALTOR® and Rep. Mark Batinick of Plainfield, 97th House District;
- REALTOR® and Rep. Tony McCombie of Savanna, 71st House District;
- REALTOR® and Rep. Sam Yingling of Round Lake Beach, 62nd House District;
- Rep. Jonathan Carroll of Buffalo Grove, 57th House District;
- Rep. Norine Hammond of Macomb, 93rd House District;
- Rep. Dave Severin of Marion, 117th House District;
- Rep. Keith Sommer of Morton, 88th House District;
- Rep. Joe Sosnowski of Belvidere, 69th House District;
- Sen. Neil Anderson of Moline, 36th Senate District;
- Sen. Andy Manar of Bunker Hill, 48th Senate District; and
- Sen. Mike Connelly of Naperville, 21st Senate District.
It should be noted that in the 21st Senate District only 12 votes separate Connelly and his opponent, so a recount of the ballots could occur.
In local races, three REALTOR®-backed candidates won:
- REALTOR® Mike Onorato, Grundy County Board District 3;
- Cook County Commissioner District 17, Sean M. Morrison of Palos Park; and
- Challenger for Lake County Board District 3, Dick Barr of Round Lake Beach.
See more information on REALTOR®-supported candidates and referenda of interest to REALTORS®.