The six case studies covered by Lisa Harms Hartzler of Sorling Northrup Attorneys can be summarized like this (but they’re really worth reading in their entirety):
- Shooting range on the second floor of a gun shop held to be a permitted use in zoning allowing private recreation.
- Title company consented to pay a $200,000 penalty for alleged RESPA violations.
- A jury must decide if a broker was liable for a salesperson’s fraud.
- A landlord was not liable for injuries caused by tenant’s vicious dog away from the premises.
- A listing agent was entitled under the listing agreement to both a portion of forfeited earnest money and a commission on subsequent sale.
- The court allowed a wrongful death suit to proceed against a real estate developer who pressured family to move out of apartment.