In the Time article, “The Best Times to Buy or Sell a House,” writer Mark Di Vincenzo talked to real estate agents for tips on the best times to do everything from listing your home to deciding when to move from a renter to owner.
Read the full article for all the details but below are some of Di Vincenzo’s highlights. What do you think? Add your blog comment on whether you agree or disagree.
- Best month to make an offer on a house is January – Fewer buyers means less competition.
- Best day of the month to make an offer on a house is the first Tuesday – Homeowners have sent in their mortgage payments for the month and don’t want to write another check.
- Best time of the year to sell a house is the spring – People are looking to buy in the spring, and often with tax refund checks in hand.
- Best day of the week to list your house for sale is Thursday – Then your home will be ready for the weekend open houses and Saturday showings.
- Best time to stop renting and buy is when it costs more to rent – Determine the rent ratio — the asking price divided by the annual rent — on a comparable rental and a home for sale to determine if now is the time to buy.